Sunday, May 21, 2006

St. Michael's Church Picnic (or The Scrapbook of My Life)

Today was the annual church picnic. It was at Kiesel Park, and it was so much fun! A moonwalk, free ice cream, hot dogs, hamburgers, water balloons, etc. We sat under a shade tree with Kirsten, Rich, Maureen, Rob, Maribeth, and some new people, too. Henri and his wife (I can't remember her name) just moved to Auburn. Henri is a dentist, and they lived in Metarie, LA. Their house was not hurt in Katrina, but he lost almost all of his patients after the hurricane. He and his wife are going to stay here, and I think they are so nice. They have a baby boy who is 1 and an older son who is going into 1st grade. They are Maribeth's new neighbors, and I am glad she has more good neighbors (God knows she needs them). Also, I met Kyle and Terri.
They just got married, and she just moved here from Troy. Together they have 5 boys under the age of thirteen. She is blonde and beautiful--and she seemed very nice.

But I think that the most significant thing that happened was just a normal moment. Maribeth brought an old loaf of bread so that the kids could feed the coy in the little pond. She was walking with Dirk, Nicolas, and Hayden, and Cater joined her. As I was watching her walk away, it was like I could see the scrapbook of my life...it sounds cheesy, I know, but I could almost see my future...years and years of church picnics and birthdays and nights at Laredo's and our children growing up and being old women together. I feel so blessed by this church, by God leading me to Catholicism, by God blessing me with friends and family and children and everything...

So, it was a good day.

No comments: