Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Celebrate a relationship in your life... (DSP Prompt 10/3)

I have a lot of great relationships I could celebrate--my husband, my kids, my family, my YaYas, my friends--but I think I will take a different approach today.

I want to celebrate my relationship with the teller at the bank. A few weeks ago, I drove up to the drive thru window to get our grocery cash for the month. Nicole (the teller) said, "Hello, Mrs. ****." I said, "Hello, Nicole," as I put my check and ID into the little drawer. Then Nicole said, "I don't need to see your ID anymore, Mrs. ****." It was at that moment that it occurred to me that Auburn is truly home.

I grew up in a small town where everyone knew everyone else. My pharmacist was not just a random person, he knew me and my mother and my grandmother, and I graduated with his son, etc. The tellers at the bank were people I had grown up with. I could not go to the grocery store (or anywhere) without seeing people I knew.

And although we have lived here for, gosh, nearly 7 years now, I am not sure I ever felt that same level of comfort and had those "home" experiences until the past year or so.

Now, when I go into my pharmacy, they know me. The pharmacist knows my children and can ask about them. When I go to the Kroger, it takes me an extra 30 minutes because I know I will see someone I have to talk to. At the Kroger, the manager of the natural foods section knows me well enough to say, "We just got in some new yogurt like your little girl likes." And now the teller at the bank knows me, too.

It is often the small, small things that help us to feel comfortable in our community and in our "home." And today I want to celebrate my relationship with Nicole, the bank teller, because she made me realize all of this just by telling me that she did not need to see my ID anymore.

7 comments:

Glynis said...

Wonderful post, Elizabeth. It made me smile and I'm so glad you have found a 'home'. :)

Ann said...

Elizabeth, this is a beautiful post... I've always thought that it's how we treat the "little" relationships in our lives that truly indicate the kind of person we are, the values we hold.

Unknown said...

It is a beautiful post, much like you.

Meg said...

Oh this is wonderful!! What a great idea to celebrate these people that make you feel at home! It sounds like you live in a wonderful area.

loonyhiker said...

I live in a little town like you where everyone knows everyone. It is a warm and secure feeling when you become a part of this society. Unfortunately remember that everyone knows the good and bad parts of your life! One time my hubby and I argued everyone in town spread the rumor that we were getting a divorce! lol

Karen said...

Congratulations Elizabeth. It's a wonderful feeling to know you're home.

carin.c said...

Sounds really really nice - I don't think I ever had that. I think was starting to get there in my last home where I went to high school and came into adulthood. I live about 45 minutes away now. I'd really like to move back there in the not too far future.