Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Write about whatever for 5 minutes (DSP Prompt 10/4)

GO!

My grandmother and my aunt just left our house, and I am struck by how much my grandmother has gone downhill in the few months since I last saw her...She used to be such a towering, strong woman. She is 82 now, though, and her age is finally starting to show. Her voice is softer; her movements slower. And I can see the stress of it on my aunt's face. It makes me a little sad. I know that this is the consequences of time, but as I get older, I am more and more aware of how quickly it all goes by. What will I be like at 82 (God willing that I make it to 82)? I hope to have not just grandchildren but great-grandchildren. I hope to be in good health and still have a good mind (both of my grandmothers are still relatively sharp given their advanced age). I hope my old age is a happy time...my friend Kim & I joke that we will sit on the porch of our old folks' home and eat cannolis all day while we rock in our rocking chairs and recall old times. Which leads me to my next point, which is that after I reach age 70 or so, I am going to eat whatever in the world I want. I figure if I make it that long, then I am going to deserve luscious deserts and lovely, gourmet meals! I mean, why grow old if you can't enjoy it?

STOP!

5 comments:

loonyhiker said...

I belong to a hiking club where I'm one of the babies at 47. Most of my friends are in their late 70s and 80s. 2 men in my group are 87. Keep in mind that these people hike 3 days a week and can do around 10 miles a day. When I hike with them I feel so out of shape and I'm afraid they will leave me in the dust! I hope to be in as good a shape as they are at that age.

Glynis said...

Fabulous post! I agree that after a certain age you should be able to enjoy certain privileges and one is definitely eating!!

carin.c said...

My Gram went downhill so quickly in just a matter of 3 years so I know what you mean. I'm with you... eat and drink whatever you want after 70!!!... my Gram always was one for her glass (or 2) of wine... and we always indulged her!

Unknown said...

Well I will get to the old folks home before you do, but I'll have all the food waiting for you.

Lena Brandenburg said...

Elizabeth, I think you should enjoy dessert now! :) ~Lena